Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Make Your Own Sushi

Ammy and Tyler decided that they wanted to make something special for Tony's birthday. Tony loves sushi, so I went online and watched a bunch of you tube videos. Then I went to Wegman's and bought everything I needed...sushi rice, sushi maki nori, rice vinegar, bamboo rolling mats and the ingredients for the sushi. We decided ahead of time that we wouldn't be too adventurous and try to make a bunch of different sushi rolls with fish. Instead we ordered some rolls from Tony's favorite local sushi restaurant to go along with what we made. (Tristan went to pick the rolls up as his contribution to the evening).

I have always heard that sushi was difficult to make. I have to say that I disagree. The trick is to have really sticky rice. We followed the recipe on the back of the bag that tells you to add rice vinegar to the rice after it has cooked.

The first thing we did was put a piece of seaweed (sushi maki nori) on top of the mat, placing the seaweed on the edge of the mat. Then we dumped a cup of rice on the middle of the seaweed.


Photobucket

Then, we spread the rice over the seaweed making sure that it went to all of the edges of the seaweed. This was a little tricky because it was very sticky and not easy to spread.

Photobucket

Then we put the ingredients on the middle of the rice. We used crab, avacado and cucumber for our rolls.


Photobucket

Then we rolled the mat with the seaweed, rice and its ingredients. The trick was to only roll a little bit at a time, squeezing gently until you had rolled the entire thing.


Photobucket

Then we used a sharp (I should say dull since I never seem to have any sharp knives) knife to cut the roll into pieces.
I hear that a sharp knife works much better than a dull one.

Photobucket

Bon Appetit, as Ammy would say!

Photobucket

I have to say, our sushi rolls were quite good!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

So impressive! My sister and brother-in-law make sushi when we visit. So far, I haven't tried it, so my hat is off to you guys!

Related Posts with Thumbnails