Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lindsey's Shower

On Saturday, my sister-in-law, Dayna, and I hosted a shower for my sister-in-law, Lindsey. I had a lot of fun searching the internet for bridal shower ideas--it's been a long time since I've attended a shower and I wanted to make it fun for everyone.

I came across this towel wedding cake and decided that I would try to make it. I love the way it turned out.

The tutorial here is pretty good and there are step-by-step photos to help you out. Some thoughts to make your life easier if you try this. Get really large safety pins. The towels are pretty thick and it is hard to stick the pins through. Put the cake on a platter of some sort--it makes it really easy to move. I used corsage pins that I found in the bridal section of Michaels to hold the layers together. Then I wrapped the ribbon around the layer and tied it in a bow. (the bows became the back of the cake) Then I placed corsage pins around the ribbon. This cake takes a lot of flowers--I happened to hit a sale at for buy one stem get one stem for free...choose a stem with a lot of buds!


Photobucket

The back of the cake.


Photobucket

Have you ever seen Sandra Lee's Semi-Homemade magazine? She had a tutorial in her latest magazine for this strawberry topiary. It was really cute and super easy to make.

Gather your supplies:
pot
foam to put in your pot
3 12" dowels
6" green foam ball
moss or stones
ribbon
hot glue

I placed the foam down inside the pot and stuck the dowels down inside the foam. Hot-glue was a must here to keep the dowels in the foam. Then I stuck the green foam ball on top of the dowels and used hot glue again. Once it was together, I started sticking strawberries into the foam ball. Use toothpicks and place the strawberries close together. Place the strawberries all over the entire ball. Then I wound a ribbon around the dowels and added a bow. Super easy!

Here are a few variations I found out on the internet while looking for Sandra Lee's tutorial: strawberry and wheatgrass topiary and Tammy's strawberry topiary.


Photobucket

We decided to play two games at the shower. The first was Bridal Bingo. We made up these buckets to use as prizes. Each bucket contained some of Lindsey and Frankie's favorite things. I used my xyron machine to laminate and create a photo sticker to put on the bucket.

Photobucket


The other game we played was Wedding Night Preview. Lindsey did not know that her maid of honor, Jackie, was writing down all the things that she said while she opened her gifts. After Lindsey finished opening her gifts, Jackie presented us with a list of things one might hear on Lindsey's wedding night.

Sorry the video is so shaky--I was laughing while I took it!




I am linking up to other blog parties today. Check them out and get your craft on.




The DIY Show Off

1 comment:

Lara Harris said...

That is so neat! Love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails